Our Earth In Space And Time
The Earth is one of the nine planets that travel around the Sun. Together they form the Solar System. The Solar System is a part of a much bigger Galaxy (group of stars), called the Milky Way. In our Milky Way, our Sun is just one of about 100,000 million stars.
The Earth is the third closest planet to the Sun, after Mercury and Venus.
The Earth is the only Planet in our Solar System that has LIFE.
The Genesis - Big Bang
Most scientists believe that the Universe was created about 15,000 million years ago, by a huge explosion called Big Bang. This scattered hot gases out into space. The galaxies, planets and stars were gradually formed out of this material.
The Story about the Continental Drift
About 200 million years ago, the Earth looked very different than it is today. At that time, all the continents were joined together. They formed one giant land mass called the "Pangaea". It was surrounded by a huge ocean, called "Panthalassa". By about 135 million years ago, Panagea began to split up into the continents we have today. They are still moving. The continent of North America and Asia may meet in about 50 million years time.
Some Basic Facts about Our Earth
- The total area of the land and water of the planet Earth is 196,940,000 square miles.
- The circumference of the planet Earth is 24,896 miles.
- The diameter of the Earth is 7,926 miles.
- The area of the Land is 57,255,000 square miles.
- The area of the Water is 139,685,000 square miles.
- The Pacific Ocean covers 68,634,000 square miles.
- The Atlantic Ocean covers 41,321,000 square miles.
- The Indian Ocean covers 29,430,000 square miles.
- The Lakes and Rivers cover 1,000,000 square miles.
- The Hills and Mountains cover 14,000,000 square miles.
- The Islands are 1,910,000 square miles.
- The Deserts are 4,861,000 square miles.
- The Tallest Mountain - Mount Everest is 29,141 feet high.
- The Producing Land is 29,000,000 square miles.
- The Earth weighs six sextillion tons - (a unit followed by 21 ciphers).
- The Earth is 93,000,000 miles from the Sun.
- The Earth travels at the rate of 1,037 1/3 miles per hour.
- The Earth has 24 Time zones.
- The Earth has 4 great realms - (Atmosphere, Lithosphere, Hydrosphere, and the Biosphere)
- The Earth rotates counter clockwise.
- The Earth is really an OBLATE Ellipoid and not round.
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.